Weather / Trail Update

by Ryan Parnell on May 20, 2015

We know that everyone is wondering about the weather and the conditions inside the park. So, we will address them here.
1. Palo Duro Canyon State Park is NOT closed at this time. Part of the lower loop is closed due to flooding at water crossings 3, 4, & 5.  TxDot will be coming in later this week to clean out the silt that is blocking the roadways & the park plans on opening up the roadway.  There is access to every campsite within the park regardless of the conditions of crossings 3, 4, & 5.
2. This situation only affects the road portion, & we have numerous options for the road course inside the park.
3. We were at the park on Monday morning surveying & going over numerous contingency plans. In fact, if the event were on Monday we would have only had one spot that was muddy enough to divert around it.
4. The park received .45 inches of rain on Tuesday, & no measurable rain today (Wednesday)
5. We are aware that rain is forecasted potentially for Thursday thru Sunday of this week.
6. We have a crew, including some of the best trial stewards, assembled to go to the park Monday morning to assess the trail situation & work on them.
7. By Monday the forecast for the week of the event should be clearer & we should be able to make better decisions at that time.
8. We understand that many of you have quite a distance to travel & the last thing we want to have happen is you travel this far for nothing.  We will post final decisions here on the website as well as email out to all participants.

Please know that we will not take this decision lightly & will do what we feel is best for everyone involved.  Our main focus is rider safety.  Should we have to cancel the event, our cancellation insurance will allow us to refund your registration fee.

Thanks!